Of course I do like all of my recipes and maybe I said this before. But this one is a special one. I think it represents exactly what my mission is with pumpkin up your life and what kind of recipes I want to share with the world. Well, first of all it contains pumpkin. What makes it super delicious in first place :-). Secondly it is a brownie recipe that you can enjoy without any regrets. And thirdly, the best part. It’s extremely delicious. After shooting these brownies I almost ate every piece all myself during that week. Also a great nutritious breakfast. Continue reading “PUMPKIN BROWNIES WITH A SKYR COCONUT FROSTING”
I must say that this recipe turned out pretty great, although it was a spontaneous creation that I came up with. I knew it was time to try a new layer cake. Way too long time no such thing. One that I created and totally suits my taste and eating habits. I wanted to have a recipe that it is a hundred percent me. All good ingredients and enjoying without regrets. Continue reading “VEGAN PEAR CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE WITH RED WINE PEAR COMPOTE”
I can not tell you how much I am enjoying this season right now. Although currently living here in Germany and mornings can be very foggy, Autumn is showing its best side and bluest skies. Warm and sunny days with the perfect temperature and oh all these colors outside. It´s just marvelous. And of course the best part: I can eat even more pumpkin every day.
I try to to be outside as much as possible with my dog Capper to absorb the last sun in this year while trying to accomplish all the plans I made for pumpkinupyourlife. Since I found what I love, I really am just doing my best to keep this going. I have to admit that I am not a very patient person, at least not when it has to do with me. I want to (or have to) trust more in the process and all the little steps it takes you finish something. Sometimes I wish I could just snip with my fingers and what I planned would be done in just a second. Or I should just learn to more patient 🙂 Whatever comes first.
This time I won´t talk to much blabla and hand over my recipe of this sweet pumpkin butter with roasted hazelnuts, served on my favorite ALNATURA pumpkin seeds bread that I fried in coconut oil. Oh yes, delicious as it sounds.
I am sure during this fall season one or the other pumpkin will come along your way. And in case you really have no clue what to do with it, this is a great easy, healthy and vegan recipe that you should try. I am not 100% vegan, but when I can I really try to avoid using animal products and for this pumpkin butter that is made super easily.
SWEET VEGAN PUMPKIN BUTTER WITH ROASTED HAZELNUTS
- 300 g pumpkin puree (Hokkaido)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil + 1 tbsp. for roasting the bread
- 100 g grounded hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3-4 tbsp. Agave syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Cut an about 1 kg Hokkaido pumpkin into half and remove the seeds using a spoon (I used in this recipe a green Hokkaido – great nutty taste and no need to peel!)
- Use just one half of the pumpkin and bring it to a boil in a sauce pan filled up with water.
- Let cook on medium heat about 15-20 minutes. Stick into pumpkin with a fork to test if its ready cooked. Once it is soft, remove from heat and pure pumpkin over a sieve to remove the water. Let cool.
- Using a hand blender or a food processor puree the soft cooked pumpkin until you have smooth mixture.
SWEET PUMPKIN BUTTER
- In a small pot melt coconut oil on low heat. Once liquid pour over pumpkin puree and stir until combined.
- Add cinnamon and Agave syrup (or other sweetener) and mix ingredients until mixture gets shiny and smooth.
- In a pan roast the grounded hazelnuts over medium heat until light gold brown. Make sure to stir gently constantly, because they can burn very quick.
- Once there is a delicious roasted hazelnut smell in the air, remove pan from heat and add to the pumpkin puree mixture. Blend until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pumpkin butter is storable up to 5 days in the fridge.
COCONUT OIL ROASTED PUMPKIN SEED BREAD
- In a pan melt the coconut oil on medium heat and add 2 bread slices.
- Roast each side 2 minutes. Until gold brown.
- Remove from heat and spread the pumpkin butter over your bread slices as much you like. Optional add some grated dark chocolate or/and hazelnuts over it.
It`s official. Summer is definitely over and autumn is here in all its glory. I wouldn´t complain, never, nunca, niemals. So with this day and this recipe my fall season has started. Before, I used to start with sharing a recipe by first baking, second shooting and thirdly and last by writing a story and the recipe. Completing it by sharing it with you on my blog pumpkin up your life.
But in the last weeks / months I did not really feel to sit in front of the computer for too long. That means I took action by baking and shooting recipes first. Now that the rainy season has started, I finally feel like sitting my ass in front of my laptop to edit my photography and write recipes for you. And I promise you I took a zillion pictures for upcoming recipes. Currently 4 waiting in line.
This delicious apple cake with pecans and a vegan caramel sauce, topped with apple chips is the first lucky cake to start the season on the blog. I adore this recipe, I really do. I baked it a few times before in a different way. Now I changed it a little bit to give it a special taste. As I really like Gin lately and we all (should) know that it is made of juniper berries (Wacholderbeeren, germ., among other things) and I like the taste and the smell so much, that I thought why not add it to my apple cake. And I cannot say it was a too bad idea 🙂
Too keep it short this time, let´s all embrace the variety of the seasons. Using seasonal ingredients and trying out new combinations in our recipes. On top of these endless possibilities we have by doing what we love, nowadays we have the best opportunities to share it with people who think the same way. With that being said on a rainy Thursday in October, I hope and wish that you all have a wonderful fall season with plenty of pumpkins and other delicious stuff!
APPLE LOAF CAKE WITH PECANS & A VEGAN CARAMEL SAUCE
- 4 medium sized apples (I used Elstar – sweet sour taste)
- 200 pecans (optional walnuts) chopped
- 220 g flour
- 80 g wholewheat flour
- 3 eggs (medium)
- 200 maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 4 tbsp. apple puree
- 180 g vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Natron
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 5 grounded juniper berries
- 1 pinch of salt
VEGAN CARAMEL SAUCE
- 90 g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut milk creamy
- 100 g maple syrup
- 1,5 apples (just enough for 1 baking tray)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Wash your apples and slice them into very thin slices.
- Remove the seeds and hard pieces from the inner of the apple slices.
- Spread the slices separately on a with baking paper covered baking tray.
- Gently sprinkle cinnamon over the apples slices.
- Turn down oven heat to 80ºC and dry/bake slices for about 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 180° C and cover a small loaf baking pan (mine was 20x9x9) with baking paper or grease pan and line with flour . You can also use a bigger one, cake will just be a little more flat.
- Peel your apples, remove seeds and cut them into small cubes.
- Roughly chopp the pecans (or walnuts optional).
- In a bowl mix apples together with pecans and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Finely grind your juniper berries.
- In another bowl mix together flour/wholewheat, baking powder, Natron, salt and juniper berries. Make sure to well combine all the dry ingredients.
- In your mixing bowl beat eggs, maple syrup and Oil for about 3-5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add dry flour mixture until just well combined. Beat mixture on medium speed.
- Fold in apple cinnamon mixture until you have smooth batter.
- Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake cake mixture for about 50-60 minutes. Start to check on your cake after 30-45 minutes. When it gets to brown on top, cover it with baking paper.
- Remove cake when a toothpick comes out clean, let cake cool.
- In a pan melt coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add maple syrup and coconut milk. Whisk and bring to a boil on higher heat.
- Once mixture starts to boil, immediately turn down heat to medium and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Frequently stir mixture and after a few minutes you will receive a thick gold brown caramel sauce.
- Once mixture has reached desired consistence, remove pan from heat and cover your cake with the caramel sauce.
- Finally top your cake with apple chips and serve!
When I decided to leave Germany in 2008 for an uncertain time to work and live on Mallorca, I never imagined what was going to expect me. But that´s what life is about, right? Jumping into the unknown, going on adventures and to just live. Being open for everything that is coming and welcome everyone you meet with arms wide open. Continue reading “Almond citrus cake with salted dulce de leche – A Mallorca love story”
Welcome to Club Tropicana
Club Tropicana, drinks are free,
Fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone.
All that’s missing is the sea,
But don’t worry, you can suntan!
Wham! Club Tropicana
As I like to support our local farmers of the region by buying their products, I always try to visit the weekly market in the city. I love to get up early to reach the market before I start working. For me this is just a perfect start in the day. Continue reading “CARROT CAKE WITH ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING”