Would you believe me if I tell you that I am eating this delicious coconut lemon ice cream right now while writing this blog post? Well, I totally am. And I can tell you that there is something delicious going on in my mouth in that moment.
A creamy, sweet coconut flavor with a hint of freshness caused by freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated lemon peel. An easy recipe to make your own homemade ice cream with only a few ingredients for which no ice cream machine is needed. You only have to invest a little bit of your precious time and patience. Patience – not one of my strenghts to be honest.
I always had a sweet tooth since I can remember. I just loved everything that contained sugar. Now I tend to choose wiser and better. I was young and naiv. Driven by my insatiable hunger. Believing that I could eat like this forever without any consequences. So stupid little me. I remember my father bringing me a big bowl of chocolate chip mint ice cream from our favorite Italien Ice Café once a month, or even more often. Not lying to you if I tell that I was able to eat a big cup containing 5 balls of that ice cream whitout any problems. Oh, I really was into ice cream.
Oh and if you”re asking yourself where I bought that super beautiful black & white mable cutting board – I have it from my favorite Interior Shop here in Trier. You can also shop online 🙂 Link: Fischers Lagerhaus
Hope you guys have fun trying out my recipes! xo, Zoe
You can use a small loaf baking pan (that’s what I did) or any other container that is suitable to be stored in the freezer.
- 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk (stored in the fridge)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 150 g agave syrup (optional use regular sugar)
- 100 g grated coconut
- 2 small or 1 big lemon (juice & grated peel)
- 3 egg yolks
- Put a loaf baking pan or any other container you’d like to use in the freezer to pre-cooling.
- In a pan slowly and on low heat roast the grated coconut with the lemon peel (keep a bit for decoration). Stir frequently. Just until you start to smell the flavor and it becomes light gold brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Open the canned coconut milk and by using a big spoon remove the seperated solid coconut cream. We only use that solid part for the ice cream. Will be about 300-350 ml.
- In a small sauce pan heat up coconut milk and agave syrup. Just bring to a low simmer, do not boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat egg yolks until foamy. About 2 minutes.
- Go on with slowly adding the egg yolk mixture into the warm coconut milk.
- Add the grated lemon coconut mixture to ice cream mixture.
- Squeeze out the juice from your lemon and add too.
- Now re-heat your mixture again, but now stir frequently. Until Ice starts to get thicker and smooth. Do not boil, just right before simmering. Once thick and creamy, remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour ice mixture into your container and store in the freezer. Wait about 50-60 minutes. Ice should be slightly frozen now. Stir ice cream completely around and put back into freezer.
- Keep on doing this procedure every 20 to 30 minutes. After about 4-5 hours your ice cream should be ready to enjoy.
This recipe is usable with all kinds of flavors. So your taste and creativity are set no limits!