VEGAN PEAR CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE WITH RED WINE PEAR COMPOTE
Posted on 4. December 2017
I must say that this recipe turned out pretty great, although it was a spontaneous creation that I came up with. I knew it was time to try a new layer cake. Way too long time no such thing. One that I created and totally suits my taste and eating habits. I wanted to have a recipe that it is a hundred percent me. All good ingredients and enjoying without regrets.
To keep it short this time. The following recipe is a vegan chocolate layer cake with a pear red wine compote and a chocolate ganache. Unfortunately, it took me too long to finish this recipe right in pear season, but here in Germany you can get them all winter long. So it is never to late for a good cake! That pears just fit perfect with chocolate, I think is clear to everyone. On top of the ganache I put some roasted pumpkin seeds, because I always love to have something crunchy in a cake. Pumpkin seeds may sound weird to you having on a cake, but trust me. They are the cherry on top that this cake needs.
VEGAN PEAR CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE WITH PEAR RED WINE COMPOTE
Notes on this recipe: Store coconut milk in the fridge and use only the solid part that separates from the water!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder + 1/2 tsp Natron
- 4 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. apple puree
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1,5 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 1/2 pears (large ones)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3-5 tbsp. red wine
- 4 tbsp. agave syrup
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 4 tbsp. full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. agave syrup
- 150 g (vegan) dark chocolate
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and sugar a 18 cm baking pan.
- I a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, Natron, cocoa powder and cinnamon. I like to use a fork to mix dry ingredients.
- By using a mixer, add apple compote and almond milk until well-combined.
- In a small pot melt coconut oil on low heat and stir into cake mixture until you have a smooth and shiny batter.
- If you are using one baking pan, fill half of your batter into it.
- Peal one pear and remove the seeds. Cut thin slices and press them slightly into the cake mixture.
- Bake for about 40 minutes and check on your cake soon enough.
- Remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside. Do the same with the second part of the batter.
Red wine pear compote
- Peal and remove the seeds from pears. Cut them into small cubes.
- In a sauce pan bring pears and red wine to a simmer. Add cinnamon, agave syrup and cornstarch. Stir constantly on medium heat.
- When mixture gets to dry start to add more red wine.
- Let compote cook for about 30 minutes or until pear cubes are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small pot bring coconut milk and agave syrup to a boil and stir for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Chop chocolate and put in a bowl. While coconut agave mixture is still warm, pour over chocolate and stir until mixture is smooth and totally melted.
Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Place a hand full pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet. Roast them in the preheated oven for a few minutes. Check on them regularly, because they can turn black very quickly.
- When they start to get thicker and gold brown they are ready to take out.
- Place one of the cake layers on cake stand or big plate.
- Cover it with a big table spoon of the chocolate ganache and distribute evenly.
- Add your pear compote to this layer and cover it with the second cake layer.
- Go on with covering the whole cake with the rest of the frosting. I let the upper half out, because I thought it looks good.
- Decorate the top of the cake with your roasted pumpkin seeds.