Chai pumpkin pie. The ultimate fall/winter must-bake pie for me. It´s an traditional American recipe that is served for Halloween, Thanksgiving or around Christmas.
It consists of a pie crust that I like to use for many of my recipes. Oh and then that pumpkin Chai spice filling, nomnomnom. The taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & ginger just forces you to enjoy this pie with a cup of tea while reading a book while it is raining or snowing outside. Every single season of the year has its benefits. But for me Autumn and Winter offer so many delicious sweet recipes, that I really don´t know where to start. So many cakes and so little time…
With all the crazy things that are happening in the world right now, baking for me is my hideaway. It calms me and makes me so satisfied when the pie/cake went well and I can share with friends, family and my blog-readers.
Sharing with you now an American recipe is kind of coincidence now that America has a new president and it is number one topic everywhere in the media. Usually I´m not too interested into politics to be honest. Just because it sometimes scares me when I think about what kind of people have the power to rule a country.
And this craziness just happened and got real. I think that this decision will effect all of us, also here in Europe. It will just not get into my head how you can vote for someone who says such stupid things. But well, may we have the power to accept the things we cannot change and let us go into future without any fear. Maybe the new president will be better than we think…
And nevertheless, this cake has nothing to do with politics and it is still super delicious.So let us all be happy and enjoy a piece of cake!
If you have any questions, suggestions or things you want to say about anything, feel free to comment! Meanwhile I hope that you enjoy this pumpkin pie recipe…
CHAI PUMPKIN PIE
To make a perfect pie crust, remember to prepare the batter for your crust a day before or at last 1 hour before baking. Make sure to read the recipe to the end, so that you can manage your time wisely. I used a 24 cm round pie baking pan.
- 180 g flour
- 120 g butter (softened cubes)
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp iced water
- 300 g pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 200 ml cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grounded cloves
- 1 tsp grounded ginger
- 1/4 tsp grounded nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
PIE CRUST / LEAVES DECORATION
1. In a bowl mix together flour, butter, salt, ,cinnamon, powdered sugar and iced water. Knead ingredients with your hands until you have a soft dough. Form a ball out of it.
2. Wrapped in cling film, store dough in the fridge over night or at least for 1 hour.
3. After resting time, preheat oven to 220 degree and grease a 24cm round pie baking pan.
4. On a floured working surface roll out 3/4 of your chilled pie dough to a round flat circle (in the size of your pan), if necessary leave it room-temperatured for a few minutes to soften again. Carefully lift it into baking pan.
5. Using your fingers press the dough evenly until you have enough overhang to form a nice edge.
6. Using a fork prick into dough several times to avoid unwanted lifting. Cool again for 10 minutes in the freezer.
7. In the meantime prepare your leaves for decoration. (optional)
8. On a light-floured surface roll out the rest of your dough and stick out your leave forms or any other kinds of cookie cutters.
9. In a glass or small bowl whisk together 1 egg and milk. Using a brush spread the egg-wash over the leaves and put them onto a baking sheet that is covered with baking paper. Leave space for pie pan.
10. Cover the pie dough with baking paper and fill it with baking beans. Pre-bake for ca. 10 minutes. Watch your leaves, they should not get too brown. They take about 10 minutes, too.
1. In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, eggs and sugar until combined.
2. In another bowl mix cornstarch and the Chai spices. Mix with the egg-mixture.
3. Add cream & milk and mix until all ingredients are well-combined. Mixture will be quite liquid. But don´t worry, it will set while baking.
4. After pre-baking time, remove leaves and pie from the oven. The leaves should be done now, let cool.
5. Remove baking beans and fill the pie with your pumpkin chai mixture.
6. Using again your brush spread the rest of the egg wash (or as much as needed) over the edge of your pie.
7. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes. Check on your cake regularly. If pie crust gets too brown you can cover them with Alufoil.
8. You can remove the pie when everything starts to become solid. The center can be a little bit wobbly. It will get solid while cooling.
9. Decorate the pie with leaves and serve it.
When I served this cake I used some whipped cream. It fits perfect to chai pumpkin pie!