Original Bloody Mary with homemade tomato juice
Posted on 28. July 2016
The recipe I am going to share with you today is the original Bloody Mary Cocktail. I am sure that everyone knows this famous and classic cocktail made out of tomato juice with Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
There is a history behind this famous drink. That for me – when I first heard about – was pretty interesting. I think I would never had heard about if I didn´t work in one of the 5 Stars Hotels St.Regis in Mallorca. It´s a luxury hotel brand located in the most beautiful places in the world. You may know them. It is not exactly my category of housing while I´m travelling (just too expensive) but they are really beautiful.
One day I want to stay in the St.Regis Hotel New York. That´s a dream of mine. You should have goals right? Well, and in this St.Regis in Hotel New York is where the story of the Bloody Mary began. There is a beautiful bar called “King Cole Bar” and the bartender who was working there in 1934 refined this spicy cocktail recipe with Vodka and tomato juice. When it was first called the Bloody Mary the rich people didn´t like the name so they changed it into the Red Snapper. This name couldn´t resist and so this drink is still known as the Bloody Mary.
So I think this is enough of history for now. I was feeling to make this Cocktail at home. But in a non-alcoholic version. Sorry. I just wanted to have a healthy and spicy drink for lunch instead of a meal. Just to make my body happy. Tomato juice actually is very healthy. Adding some good spices just makes it more delicious and drinkable. I didn´t just want to buy tomato juice packed up. So I went to the farmers market and got me 2 kilos of heavenly good smelling tomatoes. Actually, tomato juice is really easy to make at home. But you can also just buy a good tomato juice in the health food store or your supermarket of trust.
In addition, if you want to serve a nice Cocktail for guests or you need a hangover treat you are free to add Vodka. Because, that is how it is originally made. Don´t get me wrong, I appreciate a good drink too. But for my occasion it was just something refreshing I wanted for lunch. So I just skipped the drugs. In each St.Regis hotel you´ll find another interpretation of this Bloody Mary. I am going to give you the original New York recipe and the mallorquin one. According to the St.Regis Hotel in Mallorca that is made with Gin! So so good.
Bloody Mary in Spanish with homemade tomato juice
Tomato juice (for 1 l juice)
- 3 kilo tomatoes
What you will also need:
A big pot, about 2-3 liters of water
- Wash your tomatoes and cut them into half. Cut out the green stalk. Go on with cutting tomatoes into quarters.
- In a big pot bring about 2 or 3 liters to a boil. Add your tomatoes into the water.
- Reduce the heat from high to medium and keep on boiling for 15 minutes.
- After this cooking time pour tomatoes into a sieve to remove the water.
- Now mash the tomatoes in the sieve over a pot or bowl. In this way the tomato juice will come out.
- Let cool before serving.
Note: If you want to avoid the seeds in your juice, use a fine sieve. I used a sieve with bigger holes, because I didn´t mind the seeds.
Bloody Mary – Mallorca
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 120 ml tomato juice
- 1 pinch of salt / fleur de sal (rough salt)
- 1 pinch black pepper (I used Orange pepper)
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 45 ml Gin
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 cucumber stalk
I added a pinch of smoked pepper powder from Spain – It tastes really smoky, so I used just a little bit of it.
Bloody Mary (Red Snapper) – St. Regis New York
(for 2,5 l Bloody Mary Mix – below)
- 30 ml Vodka (good one, like Belvedere)
- 325 ml Bloody Mary Mix (will follow below)
- 1 quarter of a lemon (decoration)
Bloody Mary Mix (New York)
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2,5 l tomato juice
- 150 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 ml Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp celery salt
2 tbsp pepper corns
- Mix all ingredients in a big can.
- Store until is asked to be served.
To mix the Cocktail
- Fill glass with to 2/3 with ice cubes.
- Add Vodka.
- Fill up the glass with the Bloody Mary Mix.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and moisten the edges of the glass with the juices of a lemon slice.
- Use celery to garnish.
- Add a stirrer.
The day I made this recipe & and had this shooting I went for a long walk with Capper (my dog) when I was done. I always pass this Maria statue when I take this path. Ironically I thought that this picture would fit into this recipe blog feed..