Pumpkin curry ragout with turnip cabbage, chili & fresh coriander cooked in coconut milk.
Hello, my name is Zoe and I am addicted to pumpkin. It´s true, I can not live without it anymore. Well, at least I don´t want to. I like summer, I really do. But to be honest I can´t wait for autumn to arrive. It is just my favorite season of the year. I am in pumpkin heaven then.
To survive summer and not die from a lack of this super duper vegetable I went to the health food store (they sell it the whole year) to get a pumpkin. I was hungry and I had the desire to cook my special spicy pumpkin curry ragout indian style (i love indian food) in the summer version. Using coriander makes it so heavenly fresh. It is to die for. Every time I cook it for dinner I wish I could take a bath in the whole pot of pumpkin ragout…Oh that pictures in my head…
It is perfect as main dish or side dish for lunch or dinner. This recipe is not just delicious but also very healthy and even vegan. I made here the summer version of the recipe with coconut milk and added some turnib cabbage (germ. Kohlrabi). If you don´t like cabbage you can also use pepper. They will sweeten the ragout a little bit. The recipe makes 4 big plates/boles. Depending on how hungry you are and mouths you have to feed, this recipe makes 4 serves when it is used as side dish.
Rice is a good companion to this meal. I left it out, because I try to not to eat that much carbohydrates in the evening. But you feel free to enjoy it with anything you like!
I hope you enjoy cooking my recipe and have a lot of fun like me while trying and of course eating it!
1 pumpkin (Hokkaido/can be used with peel!)
1 turnip cabbage
1 can organic coconut milk
1 tbsp creamed coconut (optional)
1 bunch coriander
curry powder (curry masala or korma)
3 – 4 dried chili
olive oil or coconut oil
- Wash your pumpkin if you used Hokkaido. If you´re using another kind peel it.
- Peel the turnip cabbage and cut into ca. 1,5 cm cubes.
- Cut the pumpkin into a half or quarter. With a big tablespoon remove the seeds (can be planted in the garden). Now the remaining pulp of the pumpkin into also ca. 1,5 cm big cubes. Set aside.
- Cover a big pan completely with oil and heat up on high heat.
- Once the oil is heated, stir in the curry powder and mix until both ingredients are well combined.
- Put in the pumpkin and the cabbage and roast on high heat for 2 minutes until the vegetables are covered with the oil curry mixture.
- Deglaze everything with 1 cup of resolved vegetable stock. Pumpkin and cabbage should be covered with the vegetable water. Don´t worry it will not be too liquid. Water will not remain after a certain cooking time.
- Remove from high heat to medium heat and let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and creamed coconut (optional – gives more fat to it, but more taste). Stir in well.
- Meanwhile wash the coriander. Remove the stalks and take off the leaves. Cut the coriander and add to your vegetable curry.
- For the special spicy note add chili in a whole without cutting and cook together with the vegetable curry. That just makes the perfect spice.
- Decorate with coriander leaves or chili.