Meraner cake with hazelnuts, espresso & chocolate chips
Posted on 19. June 2016
This recipe throws me back in 2008 when I first moved to Mallorca and got into this adorable swiss family to be their Au-pair. It was love at first sight for them and the island, because they are all so beautiful people inside and outside. It was such a great time with them and they gave me so much good things to remember. It turned out that they would be by my side for a little while and influenced my life in many ways. When my thoughts wander to this time I always get a big smile on my face. We are still in contact for that I am so grateful, although they are so far away and kids are all grown up now.
I got this recipe from the Super Mom to who I look up so much, because she is just a wonderful woman. She gave this recipe to me when we used to bake it together a few times. It is a honest & easy to make cake for every occasion.With hazelnuts, espresso and pieces of chocolate. Just delicious and most likely for everyone.
I admit that it is not a typical recipe for summertime, but since it is raining in Germany for weeks now I wanted to bake this cake again. From time to time and when I want to make a quick & yummie sweet treat I always remember this recipe. It is adapted from a recipe book by Betty Bossi – a swiss fictive cook that is supposed to teach the best in baking and cooking 🙂
I make this Meraner cake like the one from Betty Bossi except for one ingredient. I like to use brown sugar instead of regular sugar. It is just because brown sugar got a little more of flavor in my opinion. But that is totally up to you. The recipe works as well with white sugar.
So here is for you the recipe. Enjoy trying it. I hope you like it. And Betty will, too.
Betty Bossi´s Meraner cake with hazelnuts, chocolate chips & espresso
– For a 30 cm cake pan –
- 200 g butter (melted)
- 250 ml espresso (or coffee)
- 300 g flour
- 1 pckg baking powder
- 175 sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 200 g grounded hazelnuts
- 150 g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 4 eggs
- chopped hazelnuts
- 250 g dark couverture (melted)
Preheat oven to 180° and if you are using a pound cake pan cover it completely with baking paper. I used (as you see in pictures) a wreath shaped baking pan that I greased with a lot of butter and sugared it!
- In a pan melt the butter on medium heat. Set aside and let cool.
- Make espresso or coffee and let cool.
- Sieve into a big bowl together flour & baking powder and combine very well.
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon, granted hazelnuts & chopped chocolate. Mix everything.
- Beat in the eggs, butter & coffee. Keep mixing until all ingredients are combined.
- Divide the batter into you cake pan and bake about 65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from your oven and let cool completely until you remove it from the pan.
- Melt the couverture over a water bath on medium heat until melted. Stir now and then.
- Chop your hazelnuts.
- Spread the melted chocolate over your cake and decorate it with the hazelnuts.
Ready to serve & enjoy! Listo!