As I like to support our local farmers of the region by buying their products, I always try to visit the weekly market in the city. I love to get up early to reach the market before I start working. For me this is just a perfect start in the day.
Easter holidays are just around the corner and I decided to make my favorite carrot cake. Said & done I went to the market these days and bought carrots and untreated oranges from Sicily to bake again this delicious cake.
Years ago I discovered in one of my favorite Cafés on Mallorca (Cappuccino Grand Café) a super delicious carrot cake. People love it there (so do I) and that´s why I tried to copy it. After a long research and trying out, I created for me a good carrot cake recipe which is almost like that one. It´s very moisture and has just the right combination of cake and cream cheese frosting. This time I added the zest of my Sicilian orange to the cream cheese to create that sunny feeling and voilá! Here is for you my all time favorite sunkissed carrot cake recipe…
I make this recipe all year long, but if you want to make your family & friends happy during the upcoming Easter holidays, this is a very good opportunity to spoil them a little bit. Trust me, they´ll love it. Just like everyone does.
What you´ll need (makes a three layer cake) and you should prepare:
Enough preparation time, a round baking pan, butter and sugar for greasing the pan.This recipe is enough for a 18cm long pan. I used a 7,5 cm high one and divided the batter into 2 portions. Because I own just one pan I had to bake each layer separated. The first time I filled the pan 3 cm high with the batter and the second time about 5 cm high. The first layer took about 50 minutes baking time, the other part about 1 hour 20 minutes.
When you work full-time like me and you don´t want to be too stressed, prepare the pastry a day before. To finish the cake, layers have to be cooled completely. Make also sure to remove the cream cheese and butter for the frosting from the fridge to have them softened and roomtemperatured. That´s important for the perfect consistency of your cream cheese frosting. Preheat oven to 180° degrees.
For the dough
- 300 g brown sugar
- 270 g vegetable oil
- 4-5 tbsp crème fraiche
- 5 medium sized eggs
- 1 pck vanilla sugar
- 2 big tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 375 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 390 g grated carrots (about 7 small carrots)
- 200 g chopped walnuts
For the orange cream cheese frosting
- zest of 1 untreated orange
- a pinch of salt
- mark of 1 vanilla pod
- 300 g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 120 g butter (softened)
- 200 g icing sugar
- Grease your baking pan and sugar the edges, set aside.
- Start to grate the carrots and chop your walnuts, put them together in a bowl.
- In another bowl put together the brown sugar, oil, eggs, crème fraîche, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix until well combined (do not keep mixing too long!).
- Mix together the flour, baking powder & soda and sift into the oil mixture. Stir until you have a homogeneos and creamy mixture.
- Gradually add the carrots and walnuts until all ingredients are well combined.
- Divide batter into your baking pans and bake at 180° degree for about 50 minutes. Check on your batter after that time with a toothpick. If it comes out clean you can remove the cake from the oven.
- Let the cake cool completely before you remove it from the baking pan.
The orange cream cheese frosting
- In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, butter, salt & vanilla pod until fluffy.
- Sieve in the icing sugar. Make sure to stir until all mixtures are well combined and smooth.
- Finally add the orange zest. Set the cream cheese frosting aside.
The cake layering
- Remove your carrot cake from the baking pan and divide it into three equal layers with a big pastry knife (I like to use). Try to cut it horizontal to have a perfect result.
- Spread the cream cheese (about 1 big tbsp for each layer) over every layer and cover the whole cake with it.
- Decorate the carrot cake with anything you like. I used dried flower petals and a few coconut chips.
- Store it in the fridge until your cake gets served. (cream cheese frosting will get harder in the fridge)
Done! Listo! I hope you enjoy my favorite carrot cake recipe & and I wish you Happy Easter holidays…
Leave a comment if you like, I would appreciate it 🙂