I use to start dreaming of summer in France while preparing this super delicious cake. I am lucky to have an aunt owning a house in Naujac-sur-mer, that´s about one hour from Bordeaux. Known for outstanding winery and its long beaches, Atlantic coast. You could walk just along the beach and after about 250 km you would arrive in Spain. That coast starts on the border from Biarritz to Soulac-sur-mer.
I just love the Atlantic coast. Overlooking the Atlantic and inhaling the fresh sea wind is such a blessing for soul & body.
Benefiting from my aunt´s house in Naujac, we decided last year to spend holiday in France. There is no such feeling of freedom than just getting in the car and drive over 1000 km from home to your vacation destination. That´s exactly what we did last summer. It was absolutely worth the long ride! Passing lavender & sunflower fields.
Still dreaming of this wonderful vacation I´d like to share one of my favorites cake recipes with you. This lavender olive oil cake recipe I know for a long time for me just tastes like pure France. It is just the right combination of lavender, rosemary & a little amount of fresh cardamom. Some people will be skeptical because of the olive oil, but this just makes the cake so super soft and moisture. Trust me, you will love this cake and everyone who´s going to try it.
What you´ll need for the cake:
A small box-shaped baking pan. I like to use a 20 cm long one. The batter amount of this recipe is sufficient for a small or a regular baking pan. The baking time is depending on your pan. When I use this small one it takes over 1 hour in the oven until it´s done. So you definitely will need a toothpick to check on your cake mixture.
The dried lavender I got from our local weekly market. I bought this bunch of lavender from a merchant from France, so I was sure that it is a authentic one. You can also get dried lavender in a well equipped supermarket in the spices sector.
THE RECIPE (CUP RECIPE)
Preheat oven to 175° degrees
For the dough
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Natron
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups Crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp dried lavender
- 1 small bunch of rosemary
- 5-7 capsules of cardamom / or grounded cardamom
For the glaze
- icing sugar
- lemon juice
After preheating oven to 175° make sure greasing your baking pan very well and cover the whole pan with some sugar or flour.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, natron & a pinch of salt.
- If you haven´t done this before, start to grind your lavender, rosemary & cardamom now. Make sure to grind very finely. You don´t want to have thick pieces in your cake.
- Go on with beating the olive oil until it´s foamy. Gradually add the sugar into oil mixture. Keep beating for about 2 minutes.
- Beat in each egg separately and keep doing until everything is well combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the oil-egg mixture.
- Add now the Crème fraîche & the lemon juice.
- When all ingredients are combined and your batter looks well you can give it into your baking pan.
- Bake cake for about 50 minutes. Check on your cake regularly. Baking time can be longer than told, because it is a heavy caking mixture. After 50 minutes when the lavender cake starts to get brown on top check with a toothpick if it comes out clean.
- If toothpick comes out clean you can remove your cake from oven and let it cool. After it´s cooled completely start to prepare your sugar lemon glaze.
- Put icing sugar into a medium bowl (about 100g).
- Drop by drop add the lemon juice. Keep on doing this slowly and until you have a thick consistency.
- Cover your cooled cake with the glaze.
Done – listo! Ready to enjoy ♥