I am more than happy to publish my first post on PumpkinUpYourLife. It took me about two years to get this blog started. Now I am very proud that I finally made it.
Since I´m a full-time worker I don´t have that much time left to do the things I really love – baking / cooking / music / photography. But I´ll do my best to publish once a week and share with you my favorite recipes and photos.
It is that time of the year we all can´t wait for winter to leave and spring to arrive. Coming from Germany I know exactly what it means to see a gray sky all day long. So it´s no wonder that I miss that little sunny island Mallorca way too much in this time. You may have read the little description about me where I mentioned that I used to live on this island for a while. Mallorca has so many things to offer. Not just the sun, the beautiful beaches and the incredible atmosphere, but also the tasteful food culture I do adore so much.
In this time of the year the mallorquin almond trees start to bloom all over the island. That is just so beautiful and I always loved to see the blossoms everywhere. That´s why I decided that my first recipe had to be a traditional mallorquin almond. It is quite easy to make, good to prepare and you can store it for a few days. Super fluffy and soft, sweet and a good taste of almonds.
What you´ll need and should prepare:
I like to use a 26 cm large round baking pan for this cake. I cover the ground of the pan with baking paper so that I just have to grease the edges with butter. Once I made this, I sugar the sides of the pan. That helps removing the cake later after baking very easily. Preheat oven to 175° C.
- 6 medium sized eggs
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 250 g icing sugar
- 200 g grounded almonds
- vanilla pod
- 1 pinch of salt
- butter & sugar to grease baking pan
- baking paper
- icing sugar for decoration
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites into different bowls.
- Beat egg whites¹ with a pinch of salt until stiff. Set aside.
- Now go on by beating the egg yolks with the icing sugar², the vanilla pod and the lemon zest. Keep doing this until mixture shines light yellow. That takes about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Mix in slowly the ground almonds into the egg-sugar mixture until combined completely.
- Fold egg whites into the almond-egg mixture very carefully. That could take a moment, because the egg whites are not that easy to combine.I use to do it by hand and not with the mixer.
- Once batter is done, give it into the greased and sugared baking pan.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven (175°C) for about 50 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven after baking time and let it cool. Once it is cooled and ready to serve, sprinkle the whole cake with icing sugar.
♥ Done – listo! ♥
I hope you enjoy this delicious traditional recipe from Mallorca.
¹Beating egg whites: I always make sure that my bowl for beating egg whites is clean and cold. When separating the eggs I am also very careful that egg whites stay clean. Because just a little amount of other ingredients can destroy your stiff egg white.
²Adding the icing sugar, make sure using a sieve. Not doing this leaves sugar lumps in your better and the cake will not be as fluffy as it should be.
The baking time of 50 minutes can depend on your oven. After 40 or 45 minutes I use to check on my cake. Because of the tender batter it may get too brown after short time. When this happens I use to cover the cake with baking paper.